Office closure

Our offices will close from Monday 24 December 2018 and will reopen on Thursday 3 January 2019. For urgent assistance during that period you can contact us.

Information on the benefits of using licensed tradespeople

Licensing systems are in place to ensure only competent tradespeople carry out installation and repair work.

Using a licensed tradesperson ensures the person completing the work is familiar with all necessary regulations and relevant professional standards. As such, a licensed tradesperson warrants they have met all of the legal obligations required by their respective professional body. It also means you have recourse to a complaints body if unsatisfied with their work.

A licensed tradesperson should:

  1. Provide a written quote
  2. Have appropriate qualifications (registered/licensed)
  3. Have a registered business name
  4. Preferably be a member of a professional association
  5. Provide referees if asked
  6. Have insurance
  7. Provide a full written contract, if requested.

You should not pay a large deposit before work starts.

Licence / registration search

Search the Department’s licence register to check whether a tradesperson is licensed.

Electrical workers

Electrical installing work must be carried out by a licensed electrical contractor, who in turn must employ licensed electricians.

Electricians, who can be licensed for up to 5 years, must carry their licence card with them and produce it when required.

Find more information on Energy Safety’s website at

Gas fitters

A licensing system is in place to ensure only competent workers carry out gas installing work.

Western Australian gas fitting permits are generally in the form of a yellow plastic card style registration.

Find more information on Energy Safety’s website at


Only a plumber, who holds a licence issued by the Plumbers Licensing Board, can legally carry out water supply, sanitary and drainage plumbing work in Western Australia.

All plumbers are issued with licences which feature a photo.


All persons carrying out painting or wall-paperhanging work in excess of $1,000 in value are required to be registered.

All registered painters are issued with an identification card (which must be current).


A building contractor is required to be registered to carry out building work valued over $20,000.

Find more information on painters, plumbers and builders visit the Building Commission’s website at

Share this page:

Last modified: