FAQs about pay

This page is for: 
EmployerEmployee / worker

wa_image_small.jpg This information is only relevant to employers and employees in the WA state industrial relations system – sole traders, unincorporated partnerships, unincorporated trusts and some incorporated or not for profit organisations. Find out more on the Guide to who is in the WA state system page.

If you operate or are employed by a Pty Ltd business – you can find information on this topic on the Fair Work Ombudsman website.

Frequently asked questions about pay

How must employees be paid?

Employees must be paid in money. Employers cannot require employees to accept goods or services instead of money as part of their pay, unless authorised by an award or contract of employment. Also, employers cannot force or compel employees to spend any part of their pay in a particular way.

Some WA awards require employers to make payment of wages in certain ways, such as electronic funds transfer. Check any specific requirements in the applicable WA award about methods of paying wages.

If employees are award free, employers need their agreement to be paid in any way other than in cash. It is best for employers and employees to discuss this when the employee starts work.

How often must employees be paid?

Most WA awards require employees to be paid weekly or fortnightly. Check any specific requirements in the applicable WA award about how often employees must be paid.

If employees are award free, the employer can specify how often they are paid in a contract of employment or letter of offer of employment, or by notifying employees before they start. It is important to remember that employees would expect to be paid at least on a monthly basis.

Can an employer reduce an employee's pay for poor performance?

No, poor performance is not a justification to reduce an employee’s pay. The employee must continue to be paid according to their award or agreement; otherwise, the employer is in breach of industrial laws.

If poor performance is an issue, the employer should talk to the employee, listen to their explanation, and given them a reasonable chance to improve to the required standard. The Managing performance page has more information.

Does someone undertaking trial work have to be paid?   

The purpose of unpaid trial work is to allow a person to demonstrate that they have the skills needed for a vacant job. It should not be used by employers to get free labour. Whether an unpaid work trial is lawful will depend on the circumstances. More information is available on the Types of working arrangements page. If a business offers to pay, then minimum or award wages will apply.

Does someone who is on work experience have to be paid?

Work experience is generally unpaid. It is usually organised by a school, TAFE or university and provides the opportunity for someone to gain information and experience on the practical aspects of a job in a particular industry. If a business offers to pay, then minimum or award wages will apply.

Do employees have to be paid for attending meetings or training?

If the meeting or training course is required as part of the employee’s job, it is considered to be work and must be paid in the normal way.

Do overseas employees on working visas get the same pay rate as other workers?

Employers who engage people on working visa arrangements must comply with employment laws. Additional conditions may be imposed dependent upon the nature of the visa. For further details contact the Department of Home Affairs.

What happens if an employee believes there has been an underpayment?

For information on making a complaint about underpayment of wages, please contact Wageline

Please contact Wageline if you have additional questions about ensuring payments are correct. 

Record keeping

All state system employers are legally required to keep employment records that detail time worked, leave taken and pay received by employees.

Learn more on the Employment records - Employer obligations page

Share this page:

Last modified: